Thursday, March 18, 2010

Every day I get an email

Every day of the Israeli working week, I receive an email from a man called Yaakov Kirschen. Now that may not be a name familiar to you, but I imagine that a number of you may know, or at least recognise, his work. Mr Kirschen is better known as the cartoonist behind Dry Bones, which have appeared for many years in the Jerusalem Post.

I understand that coming up with a political cartoon is a task that requires a great deal of talent, creativity and an ability to distill experiences and sentiments into just a few words and images, so I cannot professionally criticise a job that must be much harder than it looks, but I believe I can state that I normally find the cartoons a touch simplistic for my taste, and that the jokes are often a little tired. The daily email that I receive are either the latest Dry Bones or, as Mr. Kirschen dubs them, a "Classic Bones". Today's cartoon is one of the latter, but though it dates back almost twenty years, I find it really does hit the spot.

Jerusalem

Immensely reassuring, I'm sure you'll agree! But even though it sometimes seems as if the situation here in Israel is reaching a crisis, Mr. Kirschen makes a heart-warming point, quoting from the Tanach:

"On that day, when all the nations of the earth are gathered against her, I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves." Zechariah 12:3

Check it out in your own Bible. And if you don't have one, how on Earth are you going to understand the latest news?

Reassuring indeed. For the Dry Bones blog, click here.

1 comment:

  1. you religious-extremist-Zionist lunatic, quoting from the Torah!!
    kidding. that is a beautiful quote, and hopefully you won't be seen as a loon for it since it doesn't *explicitly* say that G-d said it!

    ReplyDelete